Wednesday, February 13, 2008

looking forward to the weekend, and back on the week

Ahh, what to say about the last few days...

Well I woke up late for my class on Monday and got there an hour late -so much for punctuality. It was quite unfortunate because the teachers had used an example from one of my papers to lead a class discussion on specific aspects of the Danish educational philosophy. Oh well, as the teacher said upon my arrival, "shit happens."

Tuesday I came prepared for class and feelin' fresh. The day flew by, and I went out in the night to another jazz club. This one had full animal hydes on the wall including zebra, leopard, and more. There were also snake skin lamps -'quite freaky isn't it brett?' Anyways, after the music had subsided we made way for "The Happy Pig" another bar within walking distance. It was packed full of DIS students who eventually trickled out. I managed to squeeze some foosball and serious dancing in before we left.



Today is my half-birthday. Go me! Six more months til' the big 21. Our class also took a mini-field trip to a unique playground in the city. What makes this playground unique is the way in which it was built and maintained -by the homeless. It's basically an empty parking lot in the midst of the bustling metropolis that is Copenhagen, and more specifically the drug-notorious area of Christiania. A group of homeless people have, in the past few years, created a mini-railroad track and homemade train that encompasses the lot. There are homemade bikes, piles of sand and earth, murals, a boat, and much more. The way it works is that a kindergarten, or private party, can rent out the place for a few hours for a small fee. The money is used to buy essential supplies for the upkeep of the playground. Whatever else is there has been scavenged, or donated. There aren't very many philanthropic projects like this anywhere in Denmark, and as to my knowledge, the world. Here are some pictures...






So tomorrow I'll be leaving for the weekend for my Western Denmark study tour. I could tell you more about it, but I'll just save that for afterwards.





Look at this monstrous spider that lives in the corner of my room. IT NEVER MOVES. It's freaking me out.

No comments: